God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

30 Days

Hello Alcohol-

It's been 30 days since you were around.  I still think about you all the time.  I have to, for fear I grow complacent and think you're actually a friend of mine.  It was fairly easy to keep you at bay while I was in Valley Hope, but now that I'm out I suspect that you'll be whispering in my ear.  Do me a favor... stay away.

I don't want you in my life anymore.  You took me further than I wanted to go, and kept me longer than I wanted to stay.  I'm never coming back, so back off.  I see now what a thief you are, how you would take me from who and what is most important in my life.  I won't give you a second chance.

Today I have a choice.  For years you took that from me.  It's mine again, and I'm not going to let it go.  I know that if I make the wrong choice, and choose to drink, it won't be long before you are in control again, you monster.  One drink might as well be a thousand.

I will get my 30 day coin tonight, everyone that is important to me will be there.  Family, and recovering friends.  We should have a great time and celebrate this achievment.  Sorry, but you're not invited.

~K

No comments: