God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Being Poor in Spirit

Just received a copy of Tozer's The Pursuit of God in the mail today and started reading it.  Another book that I just read references it frequently, so I thought I would read it as well.  In the second chapter Tozer discusses "The Blessedness of Posessing Nothing," as related in the beatitude of the poor in spirit (Matthew 5:3) and the story of Abraham being asked to sacrifice his son.  He recounts that Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son, because Abraham's love for his only son had usurped God's position in Abraham's heart.  Tozer goes on to discuss the dangers in wanting and having "things" (whether they are material or not,) and the blessing we receive when we let those things go.  He points out that it does not mean we have to become beggars in the street, but that it is their possession in our heart which is relevant.  I suppose for some it may however, mean actually forgoing something, just as an alcoholic must give up alcohol if they want to receive life.

Anyway, so far it's well worth the read, and it inspired me to do a little inventory here on the things that I need to focus on dispossessing, and giving over to God.  I'm sure that some of these may take a lifetime, over many attempts... (in no particular order)

1. smoking (current quit date August 28th)
2. nice clothing
3. nice home things, having a perfect home
4. perfect image (think Martha Stewart)
5. recognition
6. being right
7. control, my way (this include control over other drivers on the highway :) )
8. being "better" than my sister
9. husband, marriage
10. my daughter
11. getting everything done - the prominence of my to-do list
12. family and friends
13. beauty and fitness

I will probably end up adding to this list as I ruminate on it more, but that was just what I came up with after my first impression... should be simple, no?

No comments: